Skip to main content

STILL LEARNING

I'm still learning from the colloquia organized by my ABMC III students.

THE FIRST COLLOQUIUM:

The first one was about the state of campus journalism in AUF. I think that day was the first time for me to see all (except for Datalink EIC) EICs from the different colleges in AUF plus the editors and adviser of the Pioneer in one occasion. And my students must be proud because our class was able to gather them in one colloquium. So what's common about what they said? First, all the EICs admitted that the college and university papers have no absolute freedom in writing or publishing what they wish to publish. The EIC from the CBA believes that the paper exists primarily to INFORM the students in his college about the ACTIVITIES because he said that without their paper, the students would not really know what's going on in the different departments in the college. The Pioneer adviser, on the other hand, reiterated that the paper should exist not just to inform but to publish sound opinion/editorial that may influence the target readers (the students). But Ms Heather mentioned that student-writers should not use the paper as the only venue for expressing their thoughts or dissatisfaction on the school services. She said that student-writers may just use the paper if they had already brought the issue at hand to the proper authority (to the dean) and the one with authority did nothing.
What struck me most was what the EIC from CON said -- that she was just handpicked by a faculty from their college. She said she was appointed as the EIC because the students in higher levels are too busy to handle such a position. The EIC from the CEd emphasized that he and his friend are the only ones left working for their Teachers' Pen. If the EIC from CAMP said that campus journalism does not exist in AUF, the EIC of the CAS Ideas believes otherwise. He said that the fact that there are papers and editors, it means that campus journalism does exist. However, he admitted that the true meaning and purpose of the existence of campus journalism must be revived by making students more involved in the expression of ideas in the campus.
THE SECOND COLLOQUIUM:
Philosophy and Literature are two difficult topics to discuss (well, at least for me---) Sir Jay talked about existentialism and other thoughts in Philosophy while a BSN student basically talked about himself the whole time. Well, Lawrence (the student from CON) did speak about his passion for poetry but he was focused on the idea that he "has so much about himself that if he does not let it out, it will just explode." Oh well, my student even asked him that if he only writes for himself, how can other people have interest in what he is writing? The guy sounded so egoistic. I think he is. He even bravely said that "hindi ako katulad ni Sir Jay na isang Philosophy teacher na walang Philosophy." But he has to know that Sir Jay makes more sense than he does.
One good thing about this second colloquium was the presence of a veteran teacher who inspired all of us in believing in ourselves. Mrs. Luna spoke about the ups and downs of being a teacher.
THE THIRD COLLOQUIUM:
I was worried at first because Kay-ann had to cancel the second half of the colloquium because (she texted me at 12 midnight before the day of colloquium) the guest she and Gean invited backed out. We only had one speaker and she is a medical technologist. I was glad because the colloquium turned out fine. The students raised a lot of questions. And the guest was more than willing to answer all the queries. That made me appreciate this third colloquium. I, myself, even learned a lot and laughed a lot during the forum. Melford must be right: that MC students (ABMC III in particular) are flexible. It must be true because the topic didn't intimidate them at all....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y