Skip to main content

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA


The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her.

This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode.
As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was also Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM.

The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks of life. As of last night, when I officially ended my Shaiya battle, DanieGanda was already Level 40. [Congrats!]. Leveling to 40 is HARD WORK. Well, playing is supposed to be fun, not hard -- and so I thought. Ha ha. Actually I had fun. If I were not having fun, in the first place, I would not stay up the whole night playing online.

It's fun to see DanieGanda changing her weapon and armor, and upgrading her skills every time she gets promoted to a higher level.
It's fun to see a bunch of fighters in Fedion who get to kill mobs without dying because I was there, trying my best to heal them.
It's fun to play with gamers from other countries. Some of them even do not understand English. Argh, playing with them made playing more unpredictable. I think .gabone. and mezin were both Portuguese. They were speaking in their language the whole time and when the game got tough, it was hard for me and the other gamers in the 'perfect party' to communicate with them. But EmhmnUm (not sure with his name) was a great leader and team player so we made it to the next levels while we were at Maitreyan with non-English speaking gamers. Not bad!

WHY DELETE?
I had two unforgettable experiences at Shaiya. One was meeting ADE. I just passed by Keo and saw a good-looking mount -- it was a reindeer. I thought it was interesting to see a reindeer at Keo especially during the holy week, not during Christmas season. I went near the mount and told the mount owner -- Critical --- that I like his mount. Then I asked him how he got it and asked also if priests may also own a mount. While talking to --Critical-- about his mount, I noticed he was busy talking to a priest, ADE, who was not wearing any armor that time. The priest then talked to Danie. She said she's deleting her toon so she's giving away her items to --Critical--. I asked her why she's deleting her toon, and she said, it was because everything in Shaiya has become so expensive. She said she preferred playing Shaiya Evolution instead. Then, she said, "Wait here Danie, I got stuff for you." She requested transaction with me and gave me some items, one which was she said her "most priced possesion." It was a leprechaun hat costing 25, 000,000 gold. Wow! I never owned such an expensive hat in Shaiya. In fact, my gold was only less than one million that time. She asked me not to sell it though-- of course.

I thought how kind of she to give me a precious item-- to think that she didn't even know me. She could have given the leprechaun hat and the other gauntlet with expensive lapises to her other friends in Shaiya.

Well, I thought I was lucky that day cause I didn't even have to be at Keo that time. I just thought of dropping by and I just went to the reindeer mount to tell the owner I like the mount. I never thought I'd get free items for not exerting any effort. I was thankful to ADE, of course :-)

THE END OF TEARS

The end of the holy week, and the end of my battle in Shaiya ended dramatically. On a Black Saturday night, Danie went to CL and waited to have a party. Danie tried to invite every gamer at the doorstep fo the portal leading to the dungeon. Some accepted the invite, and some rejected. One high-level toon rejected the party invite because he thought he was too high to party with 30-plus-levels toons. Then, one of the players who were there, whispered Danie and invited her to come with him and friend instead of joining a perfect party.

With a promise of leveling up, Danie accepted the invite from KaotisRage. She partied with him and his friend, TearsOfMemory, a UM fighter. Tears was there to help KaotisRage level. I guess he wanted to level so he could get an item he wanted to have. The first part of the battle inside the dungeon was great. All Danie had to do was to heal and dispel.

After Danie leveled to 40, which what she really wanted, TearsOfMemory went inside a room full of mobs. Then things got tough when Tears was attacked by a lot of mobs. Danie was trying to dispel and heal but the Internet connection was really lagging. [Stupid SmartBro] Well, the battle ended with the death of TearsOfMemory. It was really a bad experience. For an ultimate fighter to die means to die forever. Unlike toons in the easy and normal modes, UM toons don't resurrect. Oh, so sad. That was a terrible thing. Tears died and she won't come back. The toon was permanently deleted.

I felt like I owe the gamer of TearsOfMemory a lot. If only regret and sorry could resurrect Tears. It made me really guilty because Tears and Kaotis were very kind, not just to me, but also to other gamers.

They were so kind to me that they invited me to come and level with them. Tears is a UM fighter and already at level 51 so she literally power leveled not just Kaotis but also Danie. She offered to help yet Danie failed her. Really bad.

Then, I remember, when we entered another room with a lot of mobs, we saw a gamer who was being attacked by mobs. Tears told me to heal the gamer, who was not even part of our party. Tears and Kaotis didn't want the gamer to die so they asked me to heal him fast and make the toon live. See how kind they could be? I swear, not all gamers are like them. Some would just be happy to see other toons dying. Or just didn't care. They simply passed by other toons. But Kaotis and Tears were too concerned, they couldn't help themselves from helping. That doubled my guilt when Tears died.

Danie apologized a lot of times to Kaotis and Tears, but Tears said she really was planning to have that UM toon deleted, so she intentionally did not bring any ress rune. But still, it didn't make the guilt less.

I guess it was kinda traumatic for Danie so I stopped playing after that incident.

THE GOOD FACE OF ONLINE GAMING

I noticed that the people online, in Shaiya, to be specific, really value the relationships that are formed in the middle of pulling and killing mobs, and in between casting magic and healing fighters and defenders.

ADE and --Critical-- seemed to have formed special relationship that made --Critical-- really sad with ADE's decision to quit the game.

TearsOfMemory and KaotisRage were a nice couple. They spoke nicely to each other and they seemed to find each other really special. I like their partnership in the game. I supposed their relationship can transcend the virtual world.

LESSONS LEARNED

For some people, playing MMORPG may be a senseless kind of activity. However, being in Shaiya made me realize that relationships -- be it friendly, brotherly or romantic ones-- do develop as a gamer tries to level. And being in the virtual world is not different from being in the real world. Just like in the real world, life becomes better and more satisfying in the virtual world like Shaiya, if shared with gamers who eventually become part of the gamers' virtual lives.

If there's a chance, I would love to visit Arktuis Village, Keo, CL, and even Maitreyan again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y