Skip to main content

"When you gotta go, you gotta go..."


Background

Sometime in July, Jobstreet.com sent me list of job vacancies which are aligned with my degree and experiences.  Well, I have been subscribing to Jobstreet for years and I already have tried applying to some companies in the past, but for some reasons, I didn't get any response.  For some, I got replies and even had interview but I didn't have the courage to leave my full-time teaching job.
 
So that day, while checking on the list, I saw an interesting position, social media research analyst.  When I read the qualifications and job description, I told myself, "Wow, this must be an interesting job. Something I love doing, and no doubt, I'm qualified. I can do this." So, because I was fascinated with the job description and qualifications, I updated my CV and attached it to an e-mail, then sent to the address given.

I can still remember, after clicking on the "send" button, I whispered to myself, "I hope I'll get it."

But days have passed so I totally forgot about it.

Then one day, while I was busy in the office, I got a call from overseas.  The person from the other line told me her name and mentioned that she's from a particular company.  She mentioned the name of the company (but I didn't understand her pronunciation of the company name) and told me that I applied for a job in their company.  In my mind, I said, "Oh, really?"  I didn't remember.  I had no idea.  I forgot about it, but I just said, "Ah, ok…" 

A few minutes of exchange of questions and answers turned out to be my initial interview with the company.  After that interview, the person (turned out to be the Office Manager), told me she's sending a written test which I need to answer and send back after an hour and 30 minutes.  But I told her I had work at the moment, so asked her to send the test to me at 4 p.m. when my class is done.  She agreed.  After my Journ 100 class, I logged on immediately expecting to see the test in my inbox, but it wasn't there.  So I thought, "Where's the test?"  I even doubted the company.  Then at 5:30 p.m., I received an email apologizing for not being able to send the test on time.  She said she was busy with interviewing so she wasn't able to check on the time.  Anyway, I told her I couldn't answer the test anymore at that time cause I had ESL class till 8 p.m.  I told her I could do it as soon as I get to the office at 8 a.m., then I could send it to her at 9:30.  She agreed.

To make it short, I took the test, and submitted on time.  While I was reading the test questions, I noticed that the sample analysis in one item did not match the given sample conversation in a forum.  I couldn't help it, so I emailed the Office Manager and told her about it.  After sending it, I thought she might take it against me, cause I was supposed to take the test, not to edit the test items.

A couple of days after, the VP for Research and Development called me for a phone interview.  The interview took several minutes.  He was asking a lot of questions about the information I've included in my CV, e.g. my books, what I teach, how I teach, etc.  I guess this was a normal scenario.  He was doing a lot of verification, and perhaps checking on consistency on my answers, and on the lookout for what else I can do, aside from the job description of the position I was applying for.

A few days after the interview and the salary negotiation, I was informed of my prospect salary  as approved by their Chief Finance Officer.  What's more,  I was offered a position which was not what I applied for. Instead of being an SMRA, the position I wanted to have, I was assigned as the Manager for Research and Services (Philippines).  As such, one of my tasks is to head the team of SMRAs from the Philippines. Wow!  It didn't occur to me the company would trust me this much.  I have zero experience on this kind of work, I mean as SMRA, so to head the team of SMRAs must be a real challenge for me.
-----------------------------

This whole application process happened so fast, I didn't even have a chance to say "No."

 Initial interview, Written test, Final Interview, Salary Negotiation, Offering of Post. 

Everything happened as if they have been planned for me.  As if I was anticipating all of them.  It was very easy for me to say "Yes" and "Sure" and "Of course" during the interviews.  During the whole hiring process, I didn't have any doubt.  So when the contract was sent to me for signing,  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I was hired!

--------------------------

Yes, I got hired even before I left my current employer.  I am still teaching, but here comes another company awaiting my decision to take the job offer.  To manage things, I told the company I could start only by October, when the semester had ended.

This is great!

-------------------------

Comments

rocker eri said…
Goodluck Ma'am!!! I'm happy for you! kayang-kaya mo yan with God's help :)

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y