Skip to main content

Work, work, and more work: What made me busy this year

The year is about to end. You might not believe it but this year, I had five jobs: full-time faculty, part-time freelance writer (X2), and part-time ESL tutor (X2). I didn't mind having several jobs because I have goals. Besides, I must consider myself lucky because some people can't even get a single job that will make them capable of earning. But aside from the financial aspect, I also need to collect experiences to add to my credentials so in the future, I could get the job I really want. Of course, I have no plan of staying here for the rest of my life. I want to work abroad and live there (wherever my destiny leads me) with my family.
Here's what happened to me this year as far as my jobs are concerned:
* I had my first book deal with contract amounting to P25,000.00. I didn't care even if my mom told me that the pay was low for the effort I exerted on the 128-page book. What's important is that I got the contract and that I enjoyed writing while earning. Anyway, this book just required me to spend three sleepless nights, two disciplined and focused days, and few hours of conceptualization.
* I got a working fee for the book I'm working on with Dr. Umaly. This was unexpected. I just got the news from Sir Umaly one day and got the check without even thinking about getting one from the publisher. I call it luck and connection... I believe the book is on its way to publication before the year ends. :-) I don't think about royalty. I just want to see my byline on an academic book for ESL students.
* I started teaching part time at ILI. I started teaching ESL in January 15 of this year. This is a part-time job that makes me earn Php 3,000.00 a week for nine hours. Not bad. What's good about this is that it's tax-free! Plus I get to practice academic freedom by designing my own lesson plans and I get to have coffee while teaching. :-)
* I also had ESL students in school for two months. My student was a KOrean professional (she's a librarian in Pai Chai Univ. in Korea). She stayed here only for a couple of months.
* My academic rank moved from Instructor V Level IV to Assistant Professor 3 Level 5. Not bad...
On the side, I also finished almost all academic units in my Ph.D. course. I have 3 units left before heading to dissertation writing and get my Doctorate degree.
For all these accomplishments (well, I call them accomplishments :-) I have few persons to thank for:
Tita Opi for helping me in getting the book deal;
Nanay for all the help in getting the check, sending the hard copies of the book, etc.;
Joowon for recommending me to Professor Lee;
Professor Lee for trusting me and for believing that I can "transform" his students into becoming more fluent in English;
Dr. Umaly for welcoming me in working with him in the book he conceptualized;
Ms Remy for giving me ESL loads;
Sir Archie for encouraging me to continue with my post-grad degree;
Steffi, Charles & Dani for a lot of INSPIRATION and for giving the STRENGTH I need to go on.
and of course to my beloved husband, Daniel who keeps reminding me that WORK is not everything there is in this world.
Thanks to all of you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y