Skip to main content

CONGRATULATIONS TO STEF and CHARLES!

This day is a busy day for the family.

This morning, Charles joined the BOOK PARADE, an activity conducted in celebration of the National Book Week. Charles was included in the parade and he was wearing a dwarf costume. For Grade One, the story they chose was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Charles was Sneezy. My husband and I actually spent most of our time during the weekend figuring out what costume Charles would wear.

At first, Dan asked Pine Rose Bazaar if they finish a dwarf costume in two days -- we started preparing Friday. The costume would cost us over a thousand pesos so we decided to think of plan B. Over a thousand pesos for a two-hour presentation, I guess, is not practical.

Then, for plan B, Dan went to the tailors in the market and asked for the price of a dwarf costume. The price is cheaper but then they said they won't be able to finish the costume in two days. So, forget about plan B. Even before going to the tailors, Dan already bought the necessary clothes -- orange and mint green. We were hoping to ask tailors to rush the costume. But, to no avail. So, forget about plan B.

There was actually no plan C. Luckily, my husband found a costume for rent in the nearby market. It costs us P500.00 only-- half the price at PineRose. Good.

Anyway, the endless canvass and search for costume ended with a certificate for our son, Charles. Grade One won second place for their costumes! Great!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the afternoon, the same day, my daughter, Steffi, joined a competition for BOOK EXPOSITION where she presented her favorite book. We chose HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS.

We found out that she was chosen to join only last Friday. So, just like the preparation for Charles' costume, Dan and I were thinking of how to help Stef in the contest. I let her borrow the book from the university library. At first, she chose LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD. Then I told her it's not a good book to criticize and review for a book exposition. So she got HARRY POTTER instead.

Here's how we prepared in a very short span of time:

1. Borrowed the book from the library.
2. Rented the movie with the same title.
3. I asked her to read some parts of the book.
4. I told her to watch the movie and compare the contents. She realized that many parts which are found in the book are not in the movies.
5. Steffi wrote her comments on the book: what she likes, what makes it a good book, etc.
6. On Sunday, from 4:30 p.m. till 7 p.m., I wrote her piece based on the comments she wrote.
7. I let her read the synopsis of the book found online.
8. We searched for related photos online.
9. We prepared the PowerPoint presentation.
10.I let her read the piece aloud.
11. Practice with the PowerPoint before bedtime.
12. We practiced three times this morning. We also edited some parts to make the piece shorter.
13. Competition started at 2 p.m.


In the end, we went home with a gold medal and SM gift certificates and of course, her certificate of recognition. She was declared Champion!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our weekends were invaded by thoughts of how they would do best in the parade and competition but I'm glad that both of them did well...

To Charles and Stef: CONGRATS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y