Skip to main content

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

My stay in the academe has been so fruitful, and many times, hurtful, but let me thank all those who made my life in the academe worth it.


1.  First on my list would be my students.  I honestly gained more friends from among my students, than from my colleagues.  The reason is simple:  I have spent more time with them, than with my co-faculty/ colleagues.  Well, all the teachers, all the staff, from the library, to the different offices -- everyone in AUF --  is always busy, that they have no time to really mingle with each other.  Most of my conversations were with students, and many of my concerns dealt with students.  Sa lahat ng AB Comm. and ABMC students, mami-miss ko ang ingay n'yo at talino, siyempre... :-)

2.  Ma'am Elvie.  She's the one who first trusted me in AUF.  Ma'am Elvie was the chair of the English department when I first came to AUF.  I respected her so much, I valued every opinion she had, and looked up to her as a mentor.  She's very brilliant, yet choose to be low-profiled.  Super humble, super educated, and super sensitive to people's feelings.  Thanks, Ma'am!


3.  Dr. Archie David.  He was the VP when I came to AUF, and the VP again when I left.  Sir Archie was also my professor in the Graduate School. I loved his class cause we had a lot of writing assignments to do every meeting -- reflection papers, analysis, etc.  Endless papers... that would make students more critical and more skilled in writing. Through his Philosophy classes, I learned to appreciate life more, and to take time out, when necessary. 

4.  Ma'am Rica of TQM.   Discussions with Ma'am Rica were always worth looking forward to.  She always had something to say about issues.  Very critical. Thanks, Ma'am , for the times we spent together  talking at the van when we both traveled from Manila to Angeles every day... 

5.  Ma'am Amor of the Univ. Library.  I've seen her passion for her work, and her dedication, super sipag. I've worked with her when I served as member of the Faculty-Library committee.  I've mingled with the whole staff of the library.  All of them are very efficient, cause Ma'am Amor served as model.  Thanks, Ma'am!  (di pa tayo nag-coffee ... )

6.  Ma'am Doty.  She was always in "rescue" whenever I was feeling so down... She might not have known I felt bad, but her timing was always perfect.  When I had a problem before, she just approached me, and gave me an inspirational book.  She had no idea that the book came at the right time.  It helped me cope with my personal issues.  Ma'am Doty is a friend who can always be counted on.  She doesn't judge people, she doesn't compare herself with anyone.  She's happy for everything she has, and she is.  I sometimes think I wish I have the same strong faith that she has!  Thanks, Ma'am!

7.  Ma'am Bamba.  She was the dean when I came to AUF.  She was the only dean who had been literally going around, visiting faculty members at the faculty rooms, and offices without any warning.  I thought this was good.  She showed that she cared, and she made sure she knew how life was at the teachers' nooks.  She knew the students well, and she took time to extend help as much as she could.  When I needed to transfer to Manila, instead of  giving up on me, she found a way so that I could still teach even if I lived there.  She assisted me in my proposal for my study-now-pay-later plan so I could finish my MA.  Then, she gave me a good answer when I questioned the school for requiring me, just like other teachers, to attend the conference and pay Php 2,000.  My salary back then was only Php 8,000, and the conference was a quarter of that amount.  It was silly, but as the Dean, she assisted me on it.  But when she interviewed me before I got hired, I couldn't forget one of her questions:  "Baka naman since you're from UP, baka activist ka rin...?"  I didn't know exactly what she meant by that.  But I just told her "Not all UPians are activists, and not all activists are UPians..."  Well, Ma'am Bamba's still great!  Thanks, Ma'am!

8. Ma'am Malay.  She's the current dean when I left.  What I admire about Ma'am Malay is that she's a cool dean!  She's not intimidated by any problem.  She has immediate solutions to long-standing problems.  She always knew exactly what to say.  What seemed to be a burden for me, as program coordinator, seemed nothing to her.  She always had the best advice, and the security one needed. And of course, Ma'am Malay had been very supportive of all my  requests, e.g. seminars, conferences, etc.  Thanks Ma'am!

9.  Sir Dennis.  He's such a very hardworking person.  I've been with him at the same office, and I witnessed how he worked-- harder than anyone could have ever imagined.  It was easy for him to manage his work as chair, director, etc., etc... [marami talaga...], but the hardest part, I guess, was how to make people believe that he was sincere in everything he said, in everything he did.  Some people misinterpret him for being insensitive, but the truth was, he was always worried about how people around would react with his decision.  He was considering people's feelings all the time, but the people didn't see he did. He's very reserved, and very organized.  Thanks, Sir Dennis!

10. To my colleagues at the department:  Jojo, Ma'am May, Remy, Sir Colle, Ma'am Linny, Ma'am Pagala, Ma'am Josie, Sir Wallis, Sir Robert.  Things were tough at times, but I still believe the best in the college are in our department :-)   Cheers!

11. To my colleagues from the other departments:  Sir Ryan Sierra, Ma'am June, Ma'am Ter, Ma'am Bada, Sir Jay, Sir Bucud, Sir Dioned, Ma'am Goce -- to all of you, thank you po!

THANKS A LOT!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y