Skip to main content

Remembering 'Tatang' on Christmas of 2011

My father-in-law passed away in Dec. 19 -- a few days before Christmas 2011
Margie, Luz, Daniel and Helen
with their mother whom we fondly call "Inang"
It was Christmas 2011-- but there was no gift-giving, no ham on the table, no games for the kids, no Christmas carols, and people's faces were mostly painted with sadness. 


Christmas 2011 was not a "merry" one for my family, but it was a very meaningful Christmas that made me realize a lot of things that are important in life.
My father-in-law whom we fondly call "Tatang" passed away in Dec 19, a few days after he was diagnosed with leukemia.  


Tatang in the hospital while struggling with leukemia
Seeing how hard it was for my mother-in-law and her daughters and sons, including my husband, to accept that Tatang has already left the family, I couldn't help but cry, too.  Amid the merry-making in other places, here's a family grieving for having lost Tatang.  I knew it wouldn't be easy for them since Tatang is such a good father to all of them, and definitely a good lolo to all his grandsons and granddaughters. 


While seeing things unfold, and while looking at Tatang's body before his burial, a lot of thoughts were in my mind.


First, it made me realize that 'death' is for real, and that we will all die in due time, so it is very important that we do good things every single day, since we only have one life.  


As a parent, I realized I  have to spend quality time with my kids, while I can, while I am with them, while I am strong and alive.  As a parent, I need to help them learn to live independently as they grow old, so that when I finally meet death, they would be strong enough to face the challenges in their own lives.


I can see that Tatang was successful enough in raising independent sons and daughters who have stopped depending on their parents at young ages. 


Second, looking at how my husband and  his siblings worked together to help Tatang survive while he was still in the hospital, and how they spent the last days on Tatang's burial made me realize that as a parent, I also need to be a sort of  'glue' that would make my kids 'stick' together even at the most challenging issues  the family faces.


Geographically speaking, they are in different places -- my husband is here in Angeles City, one sister in Hong Kong, another sister and a brother in Manila, a brother in Saudi Arabia, and two of his sisters in Camiling (hometown). Despite this, they usually bring their own families in Camiling to spend Christmas or New Year celebration.  And yes, the latest family gathering was last Christmas, without Tatang. 


I feel that Tatang was successful enough to become the 'glue' in creating an invisible family bond.  And I'm sure, now that he has passed away, that invisible bond is not about to disappear.  


Spending previous New Year celebration with Tatang in Camiling
This invisible bond is one thing I really admire on my husband's family. In fact, I am actually more familiar with his extended family than with my own.  On his side, I know his cousins, his second cousins, his siblings' family members, his nephews and nieces, etc. Well, I must admit, on my side, it would be difficult to see this kind of bonding.  For many reasons, I am not that close with my own cousins, second cousins ( I barely know who they are...), nephews, nieces, etc.  I have not even attended any family reunion (extended family)  on my side... well.. there must be no glue which is strong enough to bring me to the family gathering. 


With my own family, I hope my own kids would have such kind of family bond that will keep them together, helping each other, and making their own families in the future be close to each other as well.


   
Lastly, I realized that there is no better way to live our lives but to make other people's lives as meaningful as ours.  


I will remember Tatang as a good father to my husband and a nice lolo to my kids :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y