Skip to main content

Reflection 101

Another Philosophy class (Asian Philo) is over. I am saying this not because I have wanted the class to end. That is not true. In fact, attending Philosophy classes is one of the things I look forward to every Saturday. Our Philosophy classroom is a place where I get to THINK & REFLECT. With so many things to do in school from Monday to Friday, the only time I feel free to examine the kind of life I am living is when I attend my Philosophy class. And the good thing about it is that, I do the reflection and at the same time, I get to interact with my classmates who all make sense.
Anyway, Sir Archie (our professor) mentioned that the ABILITY TO REFLECT is one thing that is unique about a person. This makes us different from animals who don't do reflection at all. They just act according to instinct or to what they get used to.
But the question is, "Does it (reflection) make sense?" Could we actually make a difference by taking 15 units of Philosophy classes? Could we change the world by simply engaging ourselves with academic exchange of thoughts? Could we be happier if we regularly examine our lives? I remember a famous proverb that says AN UNEXAMINED LIFE IS NOT WORTH LIVING.
I think people who have time to examine their lives in order to redirect their goals in life are lucky. At the back of my mind, there is a consciousness that asks: What if a person has no time to do reflection because they are too busy to earn a living so that they would have food on the table? Think about the poor people in slum areas. Are they examining their lives or are they merely living their lives for the sake of survival?
What about the people who have no time to examine their lives because they are too busy acquiring wealth and all material things a man could desire for? Think about our government officials. They are too busy pushing for their own interests that they forget to think about the common good. They don't realize they have roles to perform for the people who elected them. I'm sure, if you are a Filipino, you know the current issues that center on the SELFISHNES of those in public service: the issue on ghost employees (Mr Jejomar Binay is number one on the list --), the continuing attempt to push for the charter change, etc.
I see nothing bad with thinking about your own interest -- it's natural, I think. But to advance your own interest at the expense of other people is a different story. We must distinguish between selfish desire and selfless desire. We should do good not because we have desires or agenda, but because it is natural for us to be good, not only to ourselves but to other people as well. I remember my professor asking my classmate who is in public service: "Are you working for DTI (Dept. of Trade and Industry) because you really want to serve or is it because of other reasons?" My classmate said both. She works to serve, and she must admit she also has to work to earn a living. That's an honest answer, I supposed. The same applies to teachers. They teach not just because they want to teach the young ones (even those who don't care about learning) but because they have to have a job to keep them alive. Plus, they have to have a venue where they could excel and reach self-actualization (well, Maslow's hierarchy of needs was also mentioned by my classmate from DTI).
This morning, we talked about BUDDHISM. Among the concepts mentioned were: the teachings of Buddha, the four noble truths, the eightfold path, the threefold way, the three jewels, karma, rebirth, enlightenment, dharma, and nirvana. Buddhism, according to the handout given to us by the reporter, does not have a concept of a Saviour, nor of Heaven and Hell.
I should say that the teachings of Buddhism are good bases for reflection, but I personally find it unrealistic. I couldn't grasp the idea of Nirvana -- the extinguishment of all desire, delusion, and ignorance. Nirvana is said to be fully realized at death, but can be experienced before death. I just don't know, but I think, to free oneself of all kinds of desire is to stop living. I am being realistic here, I know that I continue to live because I still have desires -- desire to spend quality time with my family, desire to improve myself, desire to ... the list is endless. So I have this feeling that if I will stop myself from desiring for anything, then I must be dead by then. Only the dead have nothing to desire for. On the other hand, some people believe that even those who are dead still have desires -- desire to communicate with the living, desire to fulfill a mission, etc. (I just got this idea from the movie THE SIXTH SENSE -- one of my favorite films).
The bottom line, I think, is simple: WE MUST DETACH OURSELVES FROM EARTHLY PLEASURES SO WE COULD FIND COMPLETE PEACE AND HAPPINESS. As Pankaj Mishra said on his article published at the February-2005 issue of the Time Magazine: BUDDHISM TEACHES THAT THE MIND, NOT THE WALLET, IS THE PATH TO CONTENTMENT.
May this be a guide to all those who endlessly desire for accumulation of wealth.
Happiness is nothing but a state of mind .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y