Skip to main content

My follow-up comment on the MILK CODE

Let me quote Raul Pangalangan in his column today at http://www.inquirer.net/


Marketing by milk formula companies has become increasingly aggressive. The number of women who breastfeed their infants has gone down dramatically in just a few years, while the sales and profits of the companies have risen. The irony, in the words of Sen. Edgardo Angara, author of the Rooming-In and Breastfeeding Act of 1992, is that each year we import $400 million in milk formula, but spend P536 million to bury 15,000 bottle-fed babies, and another P3.5 billion to treat infant malnutrition and diarrhea. We needlessly fritter away our foreign exchange reserves. We forget nature’s first form of immunization, enabling the infant to fight serious infection. We forgo the benefits of birth spacing as a form of natural birth control.


WHAT I THINK ABOUT THE ISSUE:


I think Senator Angara should first find out if hospitals abide by the ROOMING-IN AND BREASTFEEDING ACT. I gave birth three times in different hospitals: First at Mother of Perpetual Help Hospital in Angeles City, then at Fatima Medical Center in Valenzuela City, and the latest was 6 months ago at Angeles City Medical Center. None of the three hospitals encouraged or reminded me to breastfeed. At the Fatima Medical Center, the nurses gave me a small baby bag with ENFALAC and brochures on bottle-feeding inside. In Angeles Medical Center, the nurse instructed my husband to purchase ENFALAC also. And with my first born, my doctor then suggested that I buy S26 for my baby. So, how can mothers be encouraged to breastfeed if the doctors and hospitals seem to advocate bottle-feeding?


I remember seeing a poster on the rules on breastfeeding when I was at the delivery room of Angeles Medical Center. That was when I found out about the BREASTFEEDING ACT. But the poster, obviously, was just a poster then. No hospital staff implemented the ACT. If I were uneducated, how would I know what colostrum and mother's milk can do to increase baby's resistance against all sorts of diseases?


*******************************************

THE REAL PROBLEM is not whether the mothers should breastfeed or bottle-feed babies. The real problem is the aggressive and manipulative ads of milk substitutes. I think the government should not totally ban milk formula ads. But these ads have to pass government approval prior to being aired.
If milk formula ads would be totally banned from media, then, how would the mothers who choose to breastfeed learn about the available milk formula that is appropriate for their babies? The freedom of choice shouldn't be curtailed. Mothers have the right to choose and the milk formula companies should be responsible enough to TELL ONLY THE TRUTH about their products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y