Skip to main content

My Blogging History

I actually don't remember the exact date I started blogging. And definitely, this is not my first blog.

I never knew what a blog was until I read the final paper of my BS Nursing student (Pocholo Abelio Henson) in my English 2 class. I forgot the year -- but Potchi was still freshman then; he's in fourth year now and graduating on March. He mentioned in his review of Angels and Demons that he liked the story and so he was inspired to blog about the book in his blog then. He wrote his blog address so I became curious. I did check his URL that day while I was checking other papers and computing for their grades.

And guess what, I immediately liked the idea of blogging so I started to construct my own. However, my first blog didn't last for a year. After I posted hundreds of entries, I regretfully deleted the entire blog. I did that because of the hate-feelings I had when I found out that one of my students told someone in the campus that I blogged about her. Yeah, I did blog about that person whom I called "the worst creature I've ever met." That person brought the issue to the VP and they made a big deal out of my blog. Just to make their mouth shut, I deleted the blog.

Well, I was new in blogging then and I didn't know that i could possibly block anyone from reading my blog. Now, I am a wiser blogger. I never give my URL to any student whom I can never trust. For the record, only two students know my blog. They know who they are. And so far, they've never put me in a bad light. :-)

Anyway, I started a new blog after I deleted the old one. At first, I did blogging for personal gratification but I later realized that blogging could actually assist me in my teaching so I began to teach my students to blog. Many of my MC students enjoy blogging though some still question the need to blog. Some students maintained their blogs even after the sem has ended -- and that makes me feel fulfilled. They may have forgotten the lessons we had in class, but hopefully, their blogs would remind them of the E-newsroom class they once had.

Now, I still continue to use blogging in teaching. I created blogs for the professional subjects I am handling then I ask my students to drop by at the class blog and check out the copy of handouts and of the web links that could help them in the subject.

Blogging for over three years has helped me know myself better since this serves as a venue where I can do self-reflections. This blog also helped me bring my students to the world where there is no wall, no boundary, no rule -- the Internet. And just like what I always tell myself: I can still picture myself blogging even after a decade or more...

WHAT DO I BLOG ABOUT? my kids, my feelings when I am with my family, some family affairs, occasions meant to be shared, my students, my subjects, my feelings about my job, interesting people, controversial issues, the insights and feelings that i can never tell the person involved, what i hate, what i love, what i see which some don't bother to see, pictures/events worth keeping and remembering, etc.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y