Skip to main content

Students come and go

Eight years.

That was 8 long years in this school. For the past years, I've witnessed how students just came and left -- and were buried into oblivion.

This fact never made me feel bad before. In the past, I didn't even mind seeing my students graduate. After all, students are meant to leave school to face the real world. And I didn't hang out with students. I saw them in classroom -- that was it. I never had casual conversation with them , no texting then, no calling, no e-mail, no blog, nothing. Just plain teaching. I never even had a chance to know all the names of my students then. I just knew their faces but I couldn't label those faces with their names. It was a shame on my part, I absolutely agree!

But things have changed. Now, I have a "sad feeling" whenever a student leaves -- but of course, it also depends on the kind of students.

There are two possible reasons for this feeling. And this is based only on my personal experience.

I started feeling this way when I started to have Korean students. I've had over 20 who came and left. When they went back to Korea, I had communication with them for a week or a month -- usually right after they left -- but after a while, I hear nothing about them anymore. I realize perhaps they couldn't really keep in touch using a foreign language. Maybe.

I remember this group who became my students in Authentic Comm. for 4 months (9 hours a week). I had fun with them and they were the first Koreans who acquainted me with Korean culture. Sadly, I don't remember their Korean names but I won't forget their English names : (from left to right) Terry, Nick, Cris, Apollo and Liel. One of them was not in the picture. Her English name is Princess. I blogged about them H E R E.

I also had Julia for several months before she left for Canada to have further studies. Julia is such a sweet young lass who learns English fast. I met her at ILI. In this picture, Julia is with Charles (also my student till now). Check out Charles' English blog ON THIS SITE.

Well, of course there are also ABMC students who became really close to me. This batch was the first who made me realize the value of teaching and the sadness of saying "farewell" during graduation ceremonies.
ABMC Batch 2006 -- they were my students for several semesters. That was why I learned to like and appreciate them, the way that they, I hope, appreciated all my effort for them. Fortunately, I still see them through Friendster till now. I'm glad they're all happy with their jobs now.

Last month, one of my Korean students at ILI went back home after spending 7 months of 9-hour-a-week class with me. He is Lee Ki-bok. His English name is Daniel.

Next month, another Korean student that I have is also going back home. Kei (the one on the right) is leaving for good. He's been my student for more or less 5 months. I'll surely miss this guy who was the first to accept a three-day-English-only challenge I've given him.


The goodbyes are not about to end. On April next year, ABMC Batch 2008 is graduating. When they graduate, I think my closeness with students will also end.

This batch is hard to duplicate. I've seen them transform and become more matured individuals. I've witnessed how they worked together for a common good . I've trusted them and they didn't fail me. Even if they don't know this, their graduation is also my fulfillment.

Also, there can never be another Myk who chose to listen even when he didn't have to. I guess he's one of the few good memories I have in this school. It's hard to admit this, sometimes, but it's even harder to deny this... I wish I don't have to ask myself why. He's underrated but he's tough. He rarely speaks but he always thinks -- and when he does, he does it critically. I'm so glad he's starting to get out of his nutshell... I'm sure he can be more successful than what he imagines himself to be.

And of course, how can I forget the only BSN student who is on my never-to-forget list? I call him the Evil Genius (I got this idea and the pic from his blog). He was the one who (without him knowing it) taught me how to create a web log. He was my student in English 2 and 4. I won't forget his sarcasm, his writing prowess and his brilliant mind. I wish I could personally congratulate him on his graduation day.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not sure if I deserve special mention in this post. I've always been grateful for having you as a mentor. I want to reserve this message until graduation. (hehe) not all students come and go, some come back.

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y