Skip to main content

MY MOST TREASURED BATCH

I have just submitted the final grades of my ABMC 4 students. That submission signals the end. The students are graduating on April 24 (exactly ten years after I also finished my Bachelor's degree). Their graduation gives me ambivalent feelings. Of course, I'm so happy for them -- finally they can spread their wings and fly wherever they want their destiny to bring them. However, something inside me tells me that I'm losing a part of me when they leave.






This batch of students is, so far, the closest to me. I've been with them in their academic `struggle' in this school. They were my students since they were in their first year. And I think if there is one teacher who knows them a lot, (at least academically) that would be I. The same thing, this batch knows me more than anyone else does in this school. In fact, I'm sure that some of the students in this batch know me more than any of my co-faculty does.

What can I say about each of them?

MIKE: My first one-on-one encounter with this student was when I talked to him to remind him that he should not just relay messages from his classmates (he was class president then) to his teachers (including I). I told him that what he should do as president is to weigh first if the demands or requests of his classmates are reasonable. If not, he should tell them what's right and what's not tolerable. I was quite disappointed with him as the class president that day because of his text message that said: Ma'am we can't submit today. We will just submit (Comm 7 midterm requirement, I think) next week. (These are not the exact words but the message was the same). What I thought then, was, "What does this mean, I should follow their rules? What about the deadline I set?" I have to admit that Mike did not impress me that day. But he did say sorry and I appreciated that. The next days with him in my class were all witnesses to his effort to unify the whole class. I saw him persevere, and work really hard in order to create an atmosphere of unity and competence in their section. Everything Mike did since the day I called him in the office made me realize that he's incomparable. Of course, I'm not saying he did all those things because of what happened. One thing is sure, though. I only had a chance to monitor his actions when he served as class president. I honestly didn't know him by name before the incident happened. I just knew that he was my student but I wasn't particular with him. I also got a chance to get to see and know him better when he served as the CAS Ideas EIC. Anyway, Mike was the first student I had coffee with outside the campus. I don't really hang around with students. I deliberately avoid any invitation or I don't really invite any student to hang around with me. I value my privacy a lot and being too close with students is not an option for me. So, I felt a bit awkward when I invited Mike to have coffee with me (I think he doesn't drink coffee but he just couldn't refuse). [By the way, i invited him for a coffee not as my student, but a colleague at ILI]. I think that was a sign that I was comfortable with him -- that was the time I realized that even students can be companions or friends. Mike knew me more than anyone else in the university does. And he knows that. Mike knew how hard I worked as coordinator, how bad I felt about one person from MMC (in the past), how frustrated I was about the MC department in this school, how I value my family, and how I use my time in school. He knew all these because he had access to my personal blog. I trusted him so much that I allowed him to visit my personal blog. I'm not surprised if everybody he meets, either in school or in strange places (like when he's attending press conferences), likes him. Many students -- from both sexes --actually told me how they admire Mike's attitude and personality. Indeed, there's no one like this guy -- Myk is the one.

GEAN: This student made his mark as the president of SAMASKOM. He actually amazed me when he successfully organized VJ HUNT 2007 with the help of all his classmates and SAMASKOM officers. Gean was actually the BEST suggestion the students from the lower level made. Some SAMASKOM members suggested to make Gean the appointed president of SAMASKOM when the elected president didn't do anything for the organization. And, well, Gean didn't disappoint everyone in the organization. But then, I noticed that after being the president, he went back to his "cocoon." He chose to be low-profiled again. I know that Gean has a potential to become what he dreams to be because he has focus in life.


LD: LD works well when he's on his own. He has discipline and focus in what he does. I've proven this when he chose to continue thesis writing without any co-member. He did very well. He effectively managed his time. Also, during his internship, he was with no one. And his internship portfolio was the best in the batch. Everything he did was well-documented -- that's why he got 97%.

VANESSA: I rarely saw Vanessa without Tinay or Tinay without Vanessa. Vanessa is such a sweet, young lass who is always concerned about what other people might tell about her. Even if she feels like complaining, she never did. I appreciate her effort in sending me notes or messages through friendster. She values her friends a lot. I had a chance to meet her mom when her mom came to me to tell me that something might be wrong with the internship evaluation tool. And I realized that her mom was right. Meeting her mom gave me an impression that Vanessa is a treasure in her family.

TINAY: This is a student who's always quiet in class but I soon realized how responsible she is. During the production classes, I noticed how organized and how `perfectionist' this student can be. She has leadership qualities. All she needed were opportunities to show what she could do. She's also like Vanessa who chooses to be quiet even if she feels like complaining.

CRISANTA: I'm not sure if she remembers that during our PR class, she revealed that she's going to quit being a member of the Performing Arts because she didn't want to lose focus on her studies. This student has FOCUS on what she does. And I believe that she prioritizes her studies. Although she likes complaining, she also does her part. And when she does something for school, she puts her heart in it. I would remember Cris as the student who wanted nothing but good future for her and for her family. Also, I will always remember what she once told me, "Ma'am, bakit ikaw pa kasi naging writing teacher ko?" I'm glad because she was not afraid to learn from her mistakes. Cris actually exceeded my expectation of her. Her last semesters proved how diligence and seriousness in studies pay off.

MELFORD: I once told this student, "If I have the time, I would write about you and how you became who you are now in the university." He might not remember what I said but I uttered that because I saw how he transformed from being a silent student to being a champion debater and well-recognized student. Melford is a proof that everything we have is a result of all our actions in the past. Melford planned for every little step he had along the way. Despite his critical mind, he never imposed on himself the idea that he is "smarter than his teacher." Despite all the awards and opportunities that came his way, his feet are still on the ground. I'm happy that his deliberate effort is being rewarded with good opportunities. Well, he didn't get everything he ever wanted but it's part of life. He still got more than what he might have expected. Most importantly, he had always considered his mentors as advisers who could give him worthy piece of advice. He valued suggestions from his mentors -- and this is a sign that he respects his teachers and advisers.


ELLA: I never knew she's got good sense of humor :-) Her last semester proved that she, too, can be an effective leader. CHILDEAD is a proof that it's never too late to prove what she's got. Ella enjoyed ( I hope) production classes because she gets to express her creativity in the productions. She seems to be laughing most of the time, but she's dead serious when it comes to discussions about the PsychOTIKS masterpiece, CHILDead.


ALMEX: Very quiet but very sensible. She rarely speaks her mind but when she does, she makes sense. Almex is more matured compared with most students her age. She's very responsible but she tends to be `perfectionist' as well. She wants things done as told so it stresses her when not everyone can work the way she does. I've seen this in her when she became one of the directors in our Production class.
RENDDY: Just like Mike, I think Renddy is underrated. She can do better than what other people expect of her. I've seen her potential during our production classes. She had shown how responsible she can be and how serious she is in carrying out responsibilities.

JOYCE ANN: A very organized and responsible student -- that's what she is. Her works are always neat and she's always on time unless something unexpected happen. She has a busy schedule for she is a member of the Performing Arts but she's able to manage her time well.

Archie: What I won't forget about this student is that he, at times, doesn't know how to knock on the door before entering. I have seen him in the office, right in front of me without hearing him ask for permission if he's allowed to enter the faculty room which is supposed to be a restricted place for students. Well, of course, I thought he always forgets to ask. Anyway, Archie is also serious with his studies. Even if he was an irregular student, he tried to become "one of the batchmates" by making everyone feel his presence. He's not afraid to express his thoughts and he's always looking for ways to improve his performance in class.

RV: This student can always "break the ice" for those who are too serious about class activities. She's serious about class activities but she can finish them without becoming too serious. I think this is one of the reasons that her classmates enjoy and value her time with the group. What I won't forget about her was when she came late in our Research class -- and it was all because she photocopied the handouts for all her classmates. I didn't expect her to do that since my instruction was to let her classmates photocopy their own handouts. Well, maybe she just loved her classmates that she risked being late just to have everyone secure a copy of handouts :-).


ANNALOU: This student is the smartest in the batch. I do think she's the smartest because she can express her thoughts without reservation. She's not afraid of what other people might tell about her. She can openly say what she means, most of the time, she means what she says. This, for me, is a sign of being matured and smart. She's like a child who says things without any intention of hurting anyone. Her strong personality is her best asset. I just hope she'll finish her CF classes asap :-).

KAY-ANN: She's an effective class president. Her being a president made her become more aware of the issues in class and even in the college. I've noticed that she's carrying out her duty out of concern for her classmates, not really because she was designated as class president. Kay-Ann is a leader who can command respect without pushing too hard on her classmates. I guess, it is partly because she also respects her classmates' opinion. What's good about Kay-ann is that, her loyalty is only for her classmates. Sometimes, I wish the Filipino senators and congressmen are like her -- truly concerned without the hidden agenda :-) .


SPRING: I also get to know this student on the latter part of this academic year. She looks quite unapproachable but she's actually easy to deal with. The thing is, she also gets pressured with class activities. I realize it's because she always wanted things done on time and perfectly. She doesn't want substandard output so she does everything she can to make any group activity remarkable. She's easily frustrated with negative remarks but she translates this frustration into a challenge.

MICHELLE: Her beauty is admired by many students but I guess, more than being pretty, Michelle should be proud for she has a humble personality. In many ways, she's remarkable -- she's a good stage actress, a diligent Theater student, a creative production student. Despite all her abilities, she remains humble and respectful of other people's ideas.

KATHLYN: This student sometimes loses her focus but at the end, she kept hanging to her goal which is to finish her studies. It's not difficult to help this student maintain her focus because she sets goal for herself and does what she can to make sure she won't be disappointed in the end. I just couldn't disappoint her because she shows willingness in making up for whatever she missed in class.


JOOWON: What I like about Joowon is that she's very diligent and punctual. She values her time and my time that she makes sure she does her responsibilities and finish everything on time. She's also a busy young lass who gets to do a lot of things outside school but she can finish her tasks on time. Every time I see her, I feel her sincerity in all the words that she utters. In thesis writing, she doesn't say, " I don't know," but always, "I'll find out." During thesis oral defense, her secret of getting at least 90% is her openness to the suggestions of the panelists and her being meticulous in all the data she presents.
MARIVIC: I used to think that this student is "specially designed" to be into sports for all her years in college. I was convinced later that Marivic is such a flexible student. She excels in sports, yet she is also active in production classes. Marivic has proven that being into sports or varsity doesn't have to hinder academic performance. Perhaps she knows that time management is what matters for busy and committed varsity players. And by the way, I just realized why she was chosen by the group to be the host of AETAS IN THE CITY-- because she's got the stamina and poise to look good on camera despite the long travel from the city to their shooting location :-)
RONA: Although she's quiet in class, she is able to express her thoughts, feelings and emotions through the songs that she sings. Although a member of the most demanding organization in the campus, the Performing Arts, Rona managed to finish all the academic requirements without any problem. Rona knows her priority and she doesn't allow any of her classmates of friends to affect her personal beliefs. Her original composition for their documentary show is a sign of her love for music and her commitment to making any class activity more remarkable.
JENNIFER: How can I forget those times that she wanted to join her classmates in attending a seminar in Manila but she had to stay in the campus to join an academic contest? I knew that her friends in class wanted her presence in the seminar but they couldn't make her quit in the contest. That's what "priority setting" is all about. Being able to make a sound decision when faced with a dilemma is a skill that all graduates and professionals need to have when they start working. Choosing to stay even when she wanted to go with her friends was not an easy decision to make. She had to stay for a contest that day because the assistant dean trusted her ability in making it to the contest. Jel's attitude and love for her friends can make her truly successful in the future, of course,not to mention her diction which Ma'am Elvie acknowledged to be the best in the batch :-)

After all the things I've said, one thing is sure: THAT i WON'T FORGET THIS BATCH WHO MADE ME REALIZE THAT I, AFTER ALL, STILL HAVE A REASON TO STAY IN THIS UNIVERSITY. Without this batch who inspired me in so many ways, I WON'T SURVIVE in my own struggle in the academe.

It's just so sad to know that they'll be gone in a few days.

Next academic year, for sure, life here in the campus would be different for me for I won't see their faces in the classroom anymore. But their memories and the things that I've learned from them and with them won't go away. I'm sure their parents are so proud of all of them.



TO ALL OF YOU, MY DEAR GRADUATES, Congratulations!

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y