Skip to main content

Learning about Homosexuality in the US

I've always known Americans as much more liberated and open-minded than the Filipinos. However, as I do my research on homosexuality, I realized that they are not as liberated and as open-minded as I thought them to be, well, at least on the issues on homosexuality.

In my search for related literature, the information I got revealed that many Americans still consider homosexuality as a perversion -- something not normal. But I found several articles from reputable journals saying that homosexuality is inborn. Being gay or lesbian is not a choice that individuals do make. In 1973, the American Psychiatric Association deleted homosexuality in their list of mental disorders . That was over thirty years ago. By now, it should have been clear that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. In fact, when I was floating my questionnaire through e-mail, one respondent reacted on one of the questions. I asked, "What kind of lifestyle do homosexuals have? Is it different from or similar with the heterosexuals?" The respondent asked me why I need to ask that question and it seemed like that question implied subjectivity. He said the use of the term `lifestyle' implies that they choose to be homosexuals when in fact they don't. He even ended his email with a question for me: How about you, when did you find out that you're straight? That question left me thinking and researching for more information. Honestly, when I sent him the questionnaire, I still haven't read articles saying that "being homosexual is not a choice." All the while, I really thought that individuals choose to become homosexuals. Anyway, because of that question he asked me, I started to look for more information answering the question,"Is homosexuality a choice?" And I found out that it is not a choice. Being gay is determined by several factors. In the paper, I wrote: Recent research findings from Queen Mary’s School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, and Karolinka Institutet in Stockholm reveal that “genetics and environmental factors are important determinants of homosexual behaviour” (“Queen Mary, University of London,” 2008).

******************

Also related to this topic, I've watched two important video clips/documentary from Youtube. The first one I found out through web search. The second one, well, I knew about it through a lesbian's web log. Yeah, my search for literature also made me read several blogs maintained by gays and lesbians. And they're all interesting for I learn from all of them. Their blogs actually gave me a direction. It gave me an idea where to go and how to go about things.

Anyway, first, I've watched the three-part video clip showing the point of view of the American Family Association (AFA) on the issue of bringing homosexuality issues in public elementary schools through a diversity education. This video is a reaction of the AFA on the documentary titled IT'S ELEMENTARY: TALKING ABOUT ISSUES OF GAYS AND LESBIANS. The AFA, according to the video, believes that it is the parents' job to educate their children about homosexuality, and that this should not be left to the educators. To talk about homosexuality in school without the parents' permission, according to the video, is nothing but a clear "homosexual agenda" to brainwash the children into thinking that "Gay is okay." Well, of course, AFA thinks there is nothing okay with being gay.

The second documentary is titled FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO. This one is a good documentary. It reveals real experiences and feelings of parents who found out that their children were gays or lesbians. Based on the documentary, these children who admitted to be gays or lesbians come from a religious family -- one reason it was difficult for them to admit this thing to their parents. True enough, the parents didn't find it easy to accept the fact that their children-- who are already grown-up, are homosexuals.

One of the gays in the documentary is the first openly gay bishop who was elected in 2003 in New Hampshire -- Gene Robinson. As a controversial bishop, he had to wear bullet proof vest during consecration. Just imagine, people would not have second thoughts killing him just because he openly admitted he was gay.

The documentary also explained the controversy about the bible being used by religious groups to justify thier hate against the homosexuals. These groups actually say that the bible says that "homosexuality is an abomination," and therefore a sin. But the documentary explained that the bible can have many interpretation as there are bible readers. The thing is, some bible readers interpret the bible in the present context, and not on the context when it was written.

Also explained in the documentary is the scientific explanation of how children or individuals become gay or lesbian -- by nature, or by genes, not by choice.

*************

There are more things that I discover about homosexuality. This research made me conclude that even Americans -- some of them -- are trapped in the misleading interpretation of the bible. Worse, some still believe the teachings of the priests or pastors who generate money from claiming that they know the word of God.

*************

In the Philippines, being gay is not actually an issue. They are already accepted in the society. In fact, I personally believe that there is nothing wrong with it. After all, it is not the sexual orientation that makes a person valuable, but his attitude and how he interacts with other people.

It's also wrong to say that homosexuality is about promiscuity, which Rick Warren, insinuates in one of his recent interviews. Rick Warren is the famous author of Purpose-Drive Life. He personally believes that gays are promiscuous and that they should not be acceptable in the society.

**************

Here are the videos I have watched:

Homosexual Agenda in Public Schools Part 1

Homosexual Agenda in Public Schools Part 2

Homosexual Agenda in Public Schools Part 3

For the Bible Tells Me So 1

For the Bible Tells Me So 2

For the Bible Tells Me So 3

For the Bible Tells Me So 4

For the Bible Tells Me So 5


For the Bible Tells Me So 6

For the Bible Tells Me So 7

For the Bible Tells Me So 8

For the Bible Tells Me So 9

For the Bible Tells Me So 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y