Skip to main content

A Visit to Bahay Pag-Ibig Gave me a Chance to Reflect

This morning, as part of our community extension program, the faculty from our department, together with students and other teachers from another department, went to Bahay Pag-Ibig which they call "House of Prayer."

Bahay Pag-Ibig houses 70 old people (50 female and 20 male) who no longer have relatives who can take care of them. They were already in the hall when we arrived. After giving all our donations (powdered milk and choco, canned goods, etc.) to the Director's office, we started with the program.

Seeing old people lined up for a short program -- some of them can barely move, some seem not to hear us, few are comfortably sitting on wheelchairs, some are still strong, some can barely utter words clearly -- made me realize how grateful I should be in life. It also came to my mind how unfair life could be for people like them. I guess they also started their lives with their own families -- perhaps some of them even raised children. But now, they have no relatives to speak about. All they have are each other's company.

I learned from one of the staff there that they (the old residents) are not allowed to be visited by any relative -- if they still have any. Once they enter Bahay Pag-Ibig, they are considered to be alone in their lives.

For me, this is terrible -- where have all the children they've raised gone? Where have all their siblings been?

Of course, I am aware that each of them has his own story. In fact, I attempted to find out one story from one of them. I asked her how long she's been there and she said 3 months though the initial plan was for her to stay there only for a month. She also told me that she's going back home -- she lives in Angeles City -- by the end of this month because she doesn't like to stay at Bahay Pag-Ibig. When I asked her why, she just said, "Ayoko dito. Inaaway nila ako." She also said she, and not her sister, who volunteered to enter Bahay Pag-Ibig. "Ako ang nagpumilit pumunta dito. Akala ko maganda, hindi pala."

I wanted to ask more questions just out of curiosity. However, with the way she has spoken, my instinct told me not to ask more questions because it seems hard to verify what she claims to be true.

In time, I knowI will also become old, just like them. But I am praying that my kids won't send me to a place like that.

********************
May isa pa akong naisip habang naroon kami. Habang sumasayaw ang isang matanda (siya yung nakasuot ng kulay asul na damit sa picture) na halos hindi na makatayo nang tuwid, naiisip ko, may mga taong katulad nila na mahina na ang katawan pero gusto pa rin nilang gumawa ng bagay na ikasasaya nila at ng mga tao sa paligid nila.

May isa pang matanda doon na kumanta nang nilapitan ng emcee. Nang kumanta sya, wala kaming maintindihan sa kinanta nya.

Sana nga lahat ng tao, lalo na ang mga malalakas pa, ay may kakayahan para gumawa ng mabuting bagay na makapagpapasaya sa kanila at sa ibang tao. Kahit hindi nila kayang gawin, ginagawa nila. Kung silang mahihina na ang katawan ay nagsusumikap kumilos, tayo pa kaya na malalakas pa at mas bata kaysa sa kanila?
*******************************

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y