Skip to main content

REFLECTIONS done and LESSONS learned from the ten-day holiday in the province

I left the busy city of Angeles on Dec. 23 with my whole family. We left here at 11 am and arrived in Camiling, Tarlac -- my husband's hometown -- at around 2:30 p.m.

Family life and work in the city are both stressful for me and for my hubby so the ten-day break was the best way to get a chance to finally rejuvenate.

LIfe in the city is very convenient yet very complicated. On the other hand, life in the province is very simple yet, for me, very difficult.

It's simple because unlike in the city, you don't have to pay for everything you need. For example, here in the city, we pay for literally every move that we take. Well, bills pile up every month : water, electricity, Internet, service tricycle, and house rent. In the province, they don't have to pay for water because they use "poso" to get the water they need. But the thing is, using it takes much effort and time. Also, there's no Internet fee to pay for but the world there is rather limited: you see only as far as your eyes can see. With the Internet, you get to see the whole world in just one click of a mouse. Most of all, since they own the house, there's no need to worry about house rent.

In the province, you can actually survive even without a cent in your pocket. They get through the day with vegetables in the yard, chicken from their poultry, eggs from their chickens, and if they want more, they have pigs to be sold or eaten when ready, goats, cows, etc.

Here in the city, those animals are seen only in photos. If we want eggs, we don't get them from where the chickens lay them. Instead, we need to go to Robinson's supermarket or in the wet market to buy them. If we want chicken, we go to the same place.

But of course, the people in the province need to take care of the animals so they could get something from them. It's not easy to feed pigs, chicken, cow, and goats. Aside from feeding them, you have to clean their wastes.

***********

Still, the best part of being in the province is being close with nature. Nature has its way of relaxing confused minds. Nature is the solution to stress.

Aside from being close with nature, it's also a good experience to see my husband's relatives whom we have not seen for quite a while. I've seen April and Joy who were just in elementary school when I first saw them. Now, April has a son and Joy is in college. It reminded me how fast I age.

Celebrating the most important seasons -- Christmas and New Year's eve -- with the family is indeed the best thing that could ever happen to a mom like me.

***********

I realized that life doesn't have to be complicated, the way it is here in the city. We can actually choose to make life simple. However, simplicity of life is not actually about losing the convenience that we are used to. What i mean is that, living a simple yet convenient life is the best way to live. A simple life means not getting so much outside (meaning, outside the family) commitment and convenient life means having technology help us in the way we live.

After the ten-day break, I guess, I'm ready to get back to work and enjoy life in the city with Danie, Charles, Stef and Dan -- and soon with another baby!

***********

When we arrived home yesterday, my daughter, Steffi, said, "I miss home!" She said coming back to our own house made her appreciate what she has in the house -- microwave oven that makes heating of water done in seconds, the CR with shower and soaps that she likes, soft sofa, the Internet, etc. These things that she did not find in the province. And so I told her, "You have to experience living without these things so you get to appreciate them."

************

While I was on a vacation, I thought of my New Year's Resolution. I realized I had a lot of money coming to my family last year -- I have earnings every week, another income every 15 days, and another salary every month. There were times I would get three salaries from different sources in one day.

But at the end of the year, I still ended up with no savings -- ha ha!

So my New Year's Resolution is to keep two funds by getting parts from my salaries. One would be HOLIDAY FUNDS and another would be EMERGENCY FUNDS.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that instead of heading to Jollibee, KFC, Mister Donut, or Perfect Loaf on Thursdays, I would put some amount on the said funds...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y