Skip to main content

Back to work after a month

After one missed abortion (miscarriage), huge hospital bills, 75-page paper, lots of quality time with my kids, and medicines worth thousands of pesos, I am finally back to work starting February 9.

At times, I still think, "What have I done to deserve losing twin babies?" But inside, I feel that "it might be for the best." Maybe it should be a learning experience. If I don't learn from what happened, I wouldn't forgive myself.

So what have I learned from losing them?

Number one, there's no substitute for quality time with family, esp. with my kids who are growing up so fast. In school, I'm sure they would find an instructor who can do what I can, or perhaps better than what I can do. But at home, nobody can do what a mom does -- not even dads :-)

Number two, the incident made me realize that the best investment one can have is not really money, but relationships. It's easy to spend money for hospital bills but relationships do last. My students, colleagues, former students, my Korean students and even Prof. Lee of ILI helped to make me feel better. Knowing that through these years, I have built such a relationship with them made the healing process easier. And of course, my family and my husband's sisters never left us. We really needed assistance in the house for I was in bed rest for a couple of weeks. My sisters-in-law stayed in the house to help me and my husband in all concerns at home.

Number three, more important than time and relationships is health. Now that I feel healthy again, I realize how beautiful life is when you're able and healthy -- physically and emotionally. What happened to me was physically and emotionally draining -- really. Without good health, we can lose everything we enjoy when we're healthy.

Now, I'm back to my full-time job. Of course, I also miss my job in school-- the unending student concerns and problems, preparing for lessons, teaching, checking papers, computing for grades, and a lot of errands from the office -- ha ha. Good luck!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y