Skip to main content

REAL LIFE KNOWS NO FREEDOM












GOING BACK TO MY ALMA MATER REMINDS ME OF THE FREEDOM I ENJOYED AND THE FREEDOM I NEVER HAD


I’ve gone back to Baguio City last April 2. I went there for our department retreat. On the first day, I went out with Charles and Kevin (my Korean students) to visit some places around the city. It was Charles’ second time to be in Baguio and Kevin’s first time. We went to UP Baguio (my Alma Mater), Baguio Convention Center, Mines View Park and Burnham Park.


UP Baguio is physically very much different now compared with what it was years ago when I was still studying. It’s already autonomous. When I was studying, it was UP College Baguio. It was then under the administration of UP Diliman – parang extension campus ang UPCB then. But now, autonomous na. As such, it has its own Chancellor and of course, budget. With autonomy, I think UP Baguio was able to make itself more established. Dati, BA Mass Communication belonged to the department of Humanities and Communication. But now, College of Arts and Communication (CAC) na. There are now many modern buildings. And when we went there, the library was being renovated. None of these happened when it was still under the Diliman campus. Now I realized that autonomy is a big deal. I remember, when I was in school, we were already pushing for autonomy of UPCB. Without autonomy, wala talagang improvement. I guess it was because the UP system would definitely prioritize improving on the mother campus – Diliman – instead of extending the budget to the extension campuses.


It’s good to go back to the Alma Mater, esp. if you’re proud of your school. When I went there with my students, I thought, 11 years ago, I have never even imagined myself going back to my Alma Mater with my own students. I didn’t even think that I would be in the teaching profession. Seeing OBLE and the campus reminded me of the four most important years of my life – my college life. Those four years witnessed how I “evolved.” Most of what I believe now were shaped when I was in college. Iba kasi ang college sa UP. I had all the freedom any student could ever wanted – walang rules, walang parents (but my mom of course was providing financial support), walang nagre-remind (except for my dormmates, boardmates, blockmates, and close friends) kung ano ang mali at tama. The thing is, after four years of freedom came the real life.

Real life knows no freedom.

Life at work is full of limitations that I have no control of. Most of the time I have to struggle, esp. if I have to make a decision between what the company believes in and what I personally believe in. Most of the time, hindi nagma-match ang personal ideologies ko with the company’s. But hey, I survived the most difficult times and still making it.


Life as a mom leaves not much room for freedom. While my kids are young, my freedom to do as I please is not an option. The choice is bound on making the best for my kids, not really for myself. Maybe not yet now—But again, I love being a mom of three wonderful kids – Cha, Stef and Danie. I would always be willing to give up any freedom there is in this world just for them.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y