Skip to main content

LEARNING FROM THE CEO

I'm having a two-week training at the Singapore HQ of Brandtology with my two colleagues from the PH.  Here's what made our Day 1 special:

Our Day 1 at the company was made more significant by the opportunity to listen to the CEO of the company specializing in business and brand online intelligence.  The very first encounter with him was when he opened the door at the conference room simply to greet all of us. It was a very brief encounter yet I couldn’t forget the kind of energy he has, the smiles on his face that made him look much younger and his presence that communicates authority. 

We were a bit surprised when we were told we were having lunch with the big bosses. -- the CEO, the CFO and the Business Development Director.  I must admit it sounded weird at first. Maybe because I haven’t been to a company with CEOs or 'big bosses' inviting ordinary employees for lunch.

In the previous company I worked for, the Chancellor never even greeted the faculty members. Even if I tried to say “Good morning sir!” when I saw him at the hallways, he would simply say “Good morning” without looking at me—oh yeah, as if I did not really exist. I am sure he had no idea I have served his university for more than 11 years, even if I was among those called in meetings with him for a few times. 

That is one reason the lunch with the ‘big bosses’ last Monday was something new to me, and it just made me believe more in the company.

I enjoyed the lunch, the view at the restaurant, and the no-nonsense chat with the CEO of Brandtology Pte. Ltd., Mr. Eddie Chau:

1. “Machines cannot replace humans.” Fortunately, what we do at the company is something no machine can do. “What we’re doing now is unlikely to be replaced by a machine,” reiterated by Mr. Chau.

2. Mr. Chau cited some reasons home-based works are now very popular in the US, and in some parts of the world: (1) saves time, so more time with the family; (2) saves money – no need to spend for fare or gas; (3) gives equal opportunity to people with skills – even handicapped or disabled people with necessary skills may work from home.

3. Despite being at home working, he said it is important to set one’s mind for the work, e.g. get ready for work by washing up, dressing up and direct focus on the work for the day. This is much better than working in pajamas, he exclaimed.

4. Explaining why women are much more into multi-tasking, e.g. typing, talking, and doing other things at the same time, he said it can be attributed to the social structure in the past. Men in the past, as hunters, he said, were trained to focus on something, while women were set to do several things at the same time at home, e.g. taking care of the kids, cooking, etc.

5. Currently, the company has 170+ staff, only after over 2 years in the business. This year, he envisions having 300 employees to help in the operations.

Those are just few of the insights the CEO uttered. Even while he was driving, he was sharing his insights about different topics – population, labor in Singapore, corruption, etc.

Most of the time, though, he was discussing about the company, what it can offer that others can’t, how it grew, and how it could actually help people from different parts of Asia have a fulfilling career.

It was as if every idea he revealed, and every thought he shared were carefully tailored to make me believe that I am in the right career path. It had just made me believe more to the company, and on what it can offer to its clients.

Comments

aldricarkin said…
hi sis. i stumbled upon your blog via smartparenting.com. i'm inspired by your story and happy for you - from being a member of the academe for over a decade to being a home-based-working-mom. i, for one, am wishing to be a HBWM too. god-willing, my time will come as well =) more blessings to you and your family.

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y