Skip to main content

TEACHING THE RIGHT THING AND TEACHING HOW TO DO THINGS RIGHT






I am very young in the teaching profession – I’m only over six years serving as a college instructor here in Central Luzon. Oh well, of course I do love teaching… I love teaching students who love to learn. But I get turned off when I encounter students who, at times, don’t care about what you teach them. There are many of them. And until now, I couldn’t believe what my very own eyes have seen.
Well, welcome to reality. I am going to open some world of reality for you. I want to know if you can “chew” it.

Reality 1: Teachers can’t please all students. As an instructor, I don’t intend to please students though I realized that a good rapport between the students and the teacher is necessary in creating an atmosphere conducive to learning. So what do I do in order to at least pretend to please them? The best thing I can do, I guess, is to wear a smile upon entering the classroom so that they would think that I woke up on the right side of the bed, only for them to find out that the smile can turn into a frown once I knew that they did not accomplish their assignments.


Reality 2: Most students don’t have a passion for reading and writing. Few students know the value of knowledge we can get from reading and the level of satisfaction we can get out of writing. All they desire is to hear (not really listen) the teacher’s ‘monologue’ about the day’s lesson. But more than that, students love to do `blabbing' all the time. Well, I’m not trying to generalize here because I know that there are always exceptions. In fact, I encountered a particular class which was composed of students who were very receptive, very much willing to listen to the teachers and very quiet. The sad thing is most of them failed in major examinations. So being quiet, I’ve learned, is never a guarantee of good learning. Oh, by the way, I think the challenge for us teachers is to motivate students to develop their interests in books and encourage them to utilize pen and paper in expressing their hidden thoughts.


Reality 3: Teachers are only as good as their last performance in class. This is a sad thing. I personally feel very much fulfilled after handling a class with students who are cooperative. If I did not perform well in my last class, I feel so bad about it. I quickly ask myself 'what went wrong' so that I would be able to correct my mistakes or the students' errors. Believe it or not, some faculty members feel the same way. This is the very reason why we try to do better the following day in the next class.


Reality 4: Attitude matters. Yes, it really does. A respectful not-so-intelligent student is an asset in class while a proud and arrogant student with a high IQ is a target of criticisms instead of praise. There are students who admit that they would rather be like the former than the latter because they put more value on friendship and relationship with others rather than on medals and trophies from the college.


Reality 5: Most students always find a way to get what they want. At times, students tend to act like spoiled brats. For instance, if a teacher asks them to write a two-page expository essay, they usually respond in chorus saying “ma’am one page na lang.” And then when you tell them to submit the paper next meeting, they would shout “ma’am next week na lang!” So it’s up to the teacher if he would give in to these `routinary requests’ from students. Oooppss… how can I forget the kind of students who don’t like attending classes, and during the final period, ask the teacher for a make-up quiz, special exam or special project – as if they deserve it.


Reality 6: Students know how to appeal to the human side of the teacher. Teachers sometimes find themselves in a dilemma. Just last week, I heard a particular teacher having difficulty deciding whether he/she would give a certain student a passing grade of 75% or not. The problem? The student was a “victim” of absenteeism. He was frequently absent in most of his classes. His record would show that he didn’t deserve to pass. But, fortunately or unfortunately, an influential person in the university requested the teacher/s to give his son/daughter a passing mark. Now one of them didn’t know exactly what to do. I didn’t hear anything about this issue the following day. This is just one story. I also encountered such kind of “appeal” from parents before but I denied their request. I uttered what was supposed to be said -- that I would never give their child a passing grade just because he was a scholar and wouldn’t be able to study the following semester had he failed in any subject. Worse, there are parents who give gifts to teachers, hoping that they would get what they want. But for several times, I refused to receive anything from parents. Those parents are an insult to my being an educator.


You see, we, teachers, are doing everything to teach students the right thing and to inculcate to students how to do things right. So why should parents intervene to ask teachers to do wrong things to patch up wrongdoings of their own children? Grades can be earned through listening in class, doing homework, submitting projects on time, attending classes regularly, reviewing for exams, etcetera, etcetera. There are numerous ways to earn good grades but please not through making an “appeal” to us teachers. Teachers are not saints or evils (however you want to address them) to give in to all the desires of students. Teachers are in the university to facilitate student learning and encourage independent learning by always teaching them the right thing – i.e. the right theory, the right formula, the right rules, etc.- and demonstrating how to do things right. Period.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y