Skip to main content

I am "THE MAN"



“It matters not how straight the gate,
how charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."

From
“THE INVICTUS”
By William Ernest Henley
1875

A humanistic approach to life – that is what EXISTENCE is all about. As a man, we don’t wait for a God to control our lives. We don’t expect a God to unveil secrets that will mold who we are. Only the man knows himself. The man as existence makes choices. He takes advantage of freedom, and most of all, he takes full responsibility of what he does.

As a person in this world, I never had any doubt that no one else, but myself has the power to drive my own life. I am who I chose to be and that isn’t about to change.

There are times when I still ask myself why I am in the academe. As a college student, I never dreamed of becoming a teacher. But look where I am now and see what I could do now which I never thought I could. I now get a YES answer when I look at the mirror and ask my own reflection this question, “Is this what you want in life?”

In two weeks, I would have to celebrate my seventh year as a teacher. If you’ve seen me seven years ago, I hated the word teaching. I felt I was floating—waiting for opportunities to knock on my door – because I thought of teaching as something I didn’t have passion for. I thought I wanted to be a full-time writer or a primetime reporter or even a segment producer for TV. None of these happened, not because I lacked opportunities to grab, but simply because I eventually found my niche in the academe.

I realized that I could be a teacher and still be a writer. I realized that in teaching major subjects in Communication, I could also be as resourceful as a primetime reporter and be as creative as a segment producer.

So what is the point? I am who I am right now because of the choices I made in the past. Had I chose to leave teaching and go somewhere else, then I won’t be here trying to prove I have developed love for wisdom—that is philosophy.

I will always be who THE MAN is – an element whose existence is defined by freedom, choices and experience.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y