Skip to main content

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH


Now here's the big truth: the screen version of THE DA VINCI CODE was not as good as I expected it to be.

The book by Dan Brown was certainly phenomenal. But the movie wasn't.

First, I asked myself, "what happened to Robert Langdon's personality?" I felt that there was no connection between RL and Sophie Neveu. The way RL looked at SN in the book was ignored in the film. I wonder what happen to RL in the movie who was a "sought-after bachelor" in the book. He didn't look like such in the movie. He looked like a boring professor who wanted to do nothing but to solve puzzles. He did it so quickly-- he did it in the absence of emotion.

There is a danger that those who haven't read the novel won't be able to follow the story well. The movie was like a long documentary with few dramatic insertions. Ron Howard (the director) used a lot of flashbacks and documentary insertions to explain the controversy. There were more dialogues than there was action in the movie so it became quite boring.
The story, actually, was superb, since the fiction was said to have been anchored on facts (?) but the movie prevented the audience from enjoying the drama of RL's life with a new woman, SN. I consider her a new woman to come in RL's life because I think the first woman he met was Vittoria Vetra, the one he knew in ANGELS AND DEMONS.
The film attempted to include so many information, yet it failed to capture some important details. That, I think, was the main problem. The director wanted to take all info instead of focusing on the dramatic side of solving the puzzle. Some points were not properly explained like the scene wherein Sophie was telling RL that she saw her so-called grandfather doing a "spiritual act." The movie should have responsibly explained what that "spiritual act" was in relation to the Priory of Sion.
But I have to commend the performance of the actor who portrayed Silas. British actor Paul Bettany gave life to the real Silas that Dan Brown described.
By the way, the ending in the movie was different from the way Dan Brown ended his novel. I wonder why. Did the director intentionally omit the romantic side of the film? Did the screenplay writer think only of the controversial side of the movie? The screen version could have been great if it focused only on the best side of RL's life as a symbologist and as a bachelor.
Well, despite the criticisms, I still enjoyed watching because it seemed like I was reviewing the novel minus the action-packed adventure in the book. Of course, I also enjoyed looking at the paintings on big screen and I definitely like the experience of seeing RL and SN plus Sir Leigh Teabing come into life.
The next movie to look forward to? ANGELS AND DEMONS.
Ooppss, the best thing I like about watching at Robinson's was the fact that after over two decades, I've had a chance to watch in theaters with my mother. The last time we watched a movie together was in 1984 (if I'm not mistaken) when I was still a kid -- we watched SUPERMAN then at now abandoned theater in Malabon.
We watched THE DA VINCI CODE last Saturday with my husband, and with Vivien and James. That was our first time to be together on a theater.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y