Skip to main content

Welcome to my family!

We had a family reunion last Sunday (May 21) in Cavite, in my Tita’s house. After so many years, I’ve seen and I’ve talked to my relatives. For the first time, I saw the members of the new generation in our family. I recognized the old ones, our grannies, and I still remember our aunts and uncles who were there. But I no longer know the young generation. Of course, we were introduced to each other. Ang dami pala namin. Some of them came from Batangas, some from Pasig, and some came from Valenzuela. We’re the only ones who came from Angeles.

I actually don’t know exactly what prompted the family reunion. My mom just told us that they wanted to be together because one of them is really sick, although it wasn’t obvious that she is. And I hope she’ll get better soon.

Anyway, of course, it felt good to see my aunts who took care of us in Potrero, Malabon when we were kids. It also felt good to see my cousins who have grown and changed a lot. Mike was one of my cousins who, physically, have changed so much. I remember Mike as a little boy who played with dolls when he was 3 or 4 years old. Now, there is no way of tracing how he played with dolls. Lalaking-lalaki sya ngayon.

I was able to make chika with some of my aunts.

There is one common thing I’ve noticed among most of my relatives. Most of them have gone abroad to work and to live for good (Tita Julie is here in the Philippines only for a vacation), May nagpunta sa Japan, Israel, New Zealand, etc. Some are professional naman – optometrist, teacher (yung isa kong tita who was a teacher when I was in high school, is still a teacher and never got a chance to get married), businessmen, etc.

For the young generation naman, may nag-aaral, may UPian din, meron din may anak na, may nasa Japan, may nasa Israel, merong ayaw na mag-aral. Ganun talaga. People have different priorities in life. Even if you’re relatives, you don’t have the same thinking and we don’t get to meet the same opportunities in life.
I think the newest addition to our family is James Allen -- my sister's husband. James, I think is the fourth non-Filipino member of the family. My two aunts were married to new Zealanders, my mom was married to a British and there's James, also a British. By the way, my two other aunts were married to Japanese. One of them has lived in Japan for good. She wasn't present during the reunion.
Anyway, I'm sure that kind of affair won't be happening soon. Matagal siguro bago maulit. At least, after the reunion, we have new memories to keep. The bonding that took place during that day would be cherished for whatever happens, we are related by blood. Somehow, I felt that it is really good to know where you belong!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y