Skip to main content

MAY TRABAHO KA insults graduate students

It is very seldom that I watch TV these days. In the first place, I never like TV viewing. I only turn the TV on to watch news. Now that we have Internet access at home, not to mention I buy PDI three times (because it is a requirement in my Newswriting class) a week, I just rely on the Internet for news and other info. I think our TV set is now just a redundancy. Good thing, even my kids don't watch anymore.
Anyway, there was one time a couple of weeks ago when I watched a reality-based show May Trabaho Ka at QTV. Several students from different schools like UP Diliman, UP Baguio, Univ. of the Assumption, Far Eastern Univ., St. Scholastica's College ,were competing in order to get a job at GMA. The contestants faced different challenges until only 3 remained. The top 3 had the real challenges in their lives. The whole thing and the concept of the program were fine but then, it's quite weird because the contestants are competing just to be hired as a RESEARCHER at GMA. It was funny for me because the contestants never realized how much a researcher for a TV program gets as a salary. I think it's not fair to put the applicants in a difficult and awkward challenge if the reward in the end is not at all significant. I call the reward -- being hired as a researcher-- not significant because it's a position way below. I mean, it's not a kind of job that will make you enviable, at least financially. If the show promises a job like the ones offered to winners of THE APPRENTICE -- being one of the managers in one of the businesses of the business tycoon DONALD TRUMP -- then, I'll say IT'S WORTH ALL THE HUMILIATION AND DIFFICULTIES. But being a researcher at any giant network is not really something to dream of -- at least for me.
Another thing that made the show really questionable is that the result of the challenges was not based on the contestants' outputs. The one with the best idea and concept did not win. Instead, the one which the staff chose personally made it. They justified it by saying that a researcher has to have qualities such as resourcefulness and ability to mingle and interact smoothly with any kind of people. If that were the case, then, what's the challenge and what's the humiliation for? I really don't get it why a better concept failed and a not-so-creative concept gave the contestant a job. It doesn't seem to make sense to me.
In the end, I still think good students can get a decent and well-paying job even without joining a reality-based show like this. The students' passport to a good job should not be any show that humiliates graduates. Their diploma and college experience are enough for them to take home the bacon.
If I can make suggestions to the show, they should not look for graduates who spent on tuition fees for four years to join in their reality-based show. The staff of the show should realize that the graduates did not study just to join such a contest in exchange for a job. The staff should get undergraduate students and hire them even if they haven't finished their school, if they succeed in the challenge.
Again, it is unfair to put the graduates in such a challenge in exchange for a reseacher position. For me, the only justifiable reason to join such a challenge is at least a million bucks or a prestigious job such as the ones offered by Donald Trump in THE APPRENTICE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Levels Earned, Lessons Learned in SHAIYA

The holy week was not really holy for me. This was time of the year when I played hard. Really played hard, as in trying to make the toon level every time I logged in . And to help my toon level up, even my husband and my daughter would play with her. This year, my toon is DanieGanda. Danie, for the record, is my daughter's nick name. But I thought of adding the word "Ganda," which is a tagalog term for Beauty. DanieGanda is a human priest in the normal mode. As the rule in Shaiya, a player won't be able to create a character in the hard mode [here, toons are stronger] without first reaching level 40 in the normal mode, which is a level lower than HM. When DanieGanda started, she was power leveled by king-kruller, whom DanieGanda met while my daughter was playing the toon. King_kruller was als o Danie's first friend in Shaiya. At the moment, he's already level 58, UM. The experience was good for Danie was able to meet players from different walks o

Management Lessons from GUNG HO

'I must recognize that man achieves the highest degree of efficiency when he plays. If someone says he works out of loyalty to the company, he is a damned liar.' ----Soichiro Honda Founder-millionaire Honda Motor Co., Ltd. When a company fails, who should take the blame? When the workers complain, who should do some reflections, the management or the workers themselves? Hunt Stevenson, in the movie GUNG HO (means to WORK TOGETHER) , needed to do some reflections before it was too late. His failure to do some actions would result in closure of Assan Motors, thereby leaving hundreds of American laborers unemployed. According to Robert Heller, the author of the article EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT: TAKING RESPONSIBILITY, "How the boss behaves has a profound effect on how other managers perform - and thus on the performance of the entire outfit. That's a self-evident truth, acknowledged by most people. But few bosses acknowledge the corollary: that inferior performance is partl

An Open Letter to my Daughter as She Goes Off to College

Dear Stef, I know you’re excited to go to college, meet new friends, and embrace a more fast-paced life in Manila. I’m also excited for you! I know that the physical distance between us will only make you become stronger and more prepared to face the real world once you’ve finished college. I want you to be fully equipped and well-prepared when that time comes. I’m confident you won’t have problems being on your own. As you know, I’ve been there – was then studying in Manila, away from my parent, since I was in high school, kaya pagdating ng college sa Baguio, halos end of semester na lang ako umuuwi. At least ngayon, meron nang FB, Twitter, Skype and ‘unli text and call’, so keeping in touch is no longer an issue. Pero siyempre, iba pa rin kapag we don’t see you every day para kumustahin ang araw mo. . . Well, malapit lang naman ang Manila from Angeles, and madali ka lang puntahan, or madali ka lang makauwi, but it’s still very different from what I’ve been used to. Ngayon, without y